Our users capture video with a variety of cameras, including mobile phones, tablets, web-cams, and even older Flip Video cameras.
All of these work great with the Edthena platform. But if you're in the market for something new, we can recommend certain pieces of equipment depending on what users are hoping to achieve.
- The device you already own. You can use a laptop, Chromebook, Android device, or iOS device to record videos and upload directly into Edthena. The integrated uploading makes this the easiest option. You may want to consider buying this $30 microphone to improve the quality of the audio.
- Cameras with high-quality microphone. The Zoom Q2n is a wide-angle camera with sophisticated microphones priced less than $200. This will capture stellar audio inside a classroom. and Find a selection of Zoom cameras here. Another great option is the Panasonic HC-V770K.
- Budget friendly video cameras. If you don’t want to break the bank, you can record video with any of these reasonably priced video cameras. You'd then transfer the video to your laptop for uploading.
Extras to Consider
- Flexible stands and tripods. Keeping the camera steady is an integral component of capturing video that’s high quality. Setting the camera on a stable surface is a best practice. For more flexibility on where you can put the camera, consider flexible stands or stationary tripods.
- External microphones. Mobile phones and tablets capture great video, but the microphones can be lacking. The small microphones aren’t pointed at anything in particular. To enhance the quality of the audio captured, an external microphone is what you'll need. Consider a low-cost wireless lavalier microphone for capturing more teacher-talk. If you're looking to capture better whole-room audio, you can consider options like iRig Mic Cast or Zoom IQ7.
- External universal wide-angle lens clip. External, wide-angle lenses provide a wider field of view when capturing video from a smartphone or laptop. The LIEQI wide-angle lens is a great option because it’s easy to add temporarily to any device, and it's very low cost.